Your breast pump is like a close personal friend. It knows you in ways that most of your closest friends will never come close to. That is why your breast pump should be comfortable, efficient, easy to use and provide an all around great experience. Here are some things to consider before you decide which pump is right for you.
- It’s going to be your best friend. Pumping is amazing for so many reasons, but it does mean that you and your pump are going to be spending lots of quality time together. It’s literally going to be attached to you for hours every week, joining you on holiday, coming to work, or just packed in a bag to take wherever you need to go - and it’s not like Mums don’t already have enough stuff to carry around! You’re going to want a pump that’s convenient to use and portable to make the experience as easy as possible.
- You don’t want to be plugged into a wall. On that note, when you pump, you want to be doing it somewhere that’s comfortable and convenient, which may not always mean you’re in easy reach of a powerpoint (if you’re using an electric pump, of course). An electric pump that has a rechargeable battery means you can pump anywhere at anytime (sitting in bed, on the couch watching TV - wherever suits you).
- Comfort is key. Pumping should never be painful, but there are times when your breasts might be sore and tender, or you might just need a bit of extra love (you’re a superhero breastfeeding Mama, after all). Minbie’s pump has soft, silicone cups that feel more soothing and gentle than hard plastic.
- Your time is precious. Who wants to be pumping for longer than they have to in the middle of the night when you could be sleeping? Or when you’re in a rush to head out the door? Electric pumps are faster and less physically taxing than using a manual pump. And pumps that allow you to adjust the pumping pace and power are an added bonus, giving you more time to do the million other things Mamas have on their plates. You can’t get much better than the hospital-grade power of Minbie’s breat pump.
- Double the results. If you are blessed with a bountiful milk supply, having a double pump will save you even more time as you can drain both breasts of the golden stuff at once.
- Shhhhhhhhh. The gentle “buzz, buzz, buzz” of your pump can be hypnotic in the middle of the night, or if your pump is on the loud side, it can just be plain irritating. A quiet, discreet pump means you can pump a little more inconspicuously, perhaps even right next to a sleeping baby. If you’re able to multi-task like a boss and feed your baby on one breast while pumping on the other, your bub will probably be grateful for the quiet, too.
- The best support. A great pump that works well for you and most closely resembles the natural sucking of your baby will help stimulate your breastmilk supply. And that means you can build up an even greater stockpile of breastmilk in the freezer for when you need to be away from bub - winning!
- It’s an investment. Electric breast pumps are not cheap and certainly more expensive than manual, hand-held versions. But you might be expressing for weeks, months, or even years, so it might be worth considering how much the expense is worth to you. A good-quality pump will last through many uses, so can easily be used for multiple children (if you have any more) or passed onto sisters or friends.
- The convenience of matching bottles. You certainly don’t have to use the same branded bottles as your pump, but it can be convenient as it means you can screw your bottle straight onto the pump mechanism and express directly into it (so less opportunity for unfortunate spills when you’re tired and distracted). This may mean that you want to think about the best bottle for bub before you decide on a pump - check out why Minbie’s bottles are chosen by many parents.
- It’s all about you. Ultimately, it’s important that you choose a pump that’s going to make you feel positive about this amazing thing you’re doing with your body to feed your baby. So, just like any product you choose to use during this new phase, it needs to work with your lifestyle, for you body, and for your family. And if it’s a stylish, efficient and clever little pump (just like Minbie’s), then all the better!
Go here to find out how Minbie’s pump can support your breastfeeding journey.
For more tips and advice about breastfeeding and bottle-feeding, visit our Blog.
Pru Engel, Minbie